North East England Doner Kebab Chilli Sauce recipe request please :) - Page 2
curry spice shop
curry spice shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North East England Doner Kebab Chilli Sauce recipe request please :)

Gateshead; A road to and from Newcastle and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
    Graham, or anyone else know what Chilli (Black eye) is?
    When he gave me the written list blackcloud I asked him what they were he said a type of chilli but I've never heard of them either. Maybe they're just a mild chilli because he said you add chilli powder to your heat preference so chances are they're for flavour is my guess mate.
    I'll ask him to elaborate when I'm in next but if It's Saturday night I won't remember so I'll ask when I'm sober

Cheers and thanks Ricky

Graham.
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

Yeahh I googled it but nothing came up? So yeah would be great if you could ask what is Black Eye Chilli is?

Thanks so much again mate!

Hi blackcloud,

I've popped down specially for you mate to have a word with the chef seeing Wednesday is a quiet night.
    There was a language barrier I think yesterday plus a little suspicion, I've explained who it was for and they're happy to share.... So here's the full recipe

Ingredients.

2 Plumb Tomatoes. (from a can)

10 Green Chillies.

1 onion.

1 Hand full of White cabbage, shredded. (that's as much as you can grab from a bowl with one hand)

1 TBLS Chilli Powder

1 Half of a Lemon (seeds removed)

Half TBLS Garam Masala.

3 TBLS Veg oil

Good pinch Salt.

Water.

(Though the chef insisted TBLS and Not TSPS I would try Teaspoons and see how it goes flavour wise then
    if you think it lacks heat then go with the full amount stated, same goes for the Garam Masala.)

Method..

Put all the above in a blender with not too much water, just enough to get it moving. You can add but you cant take it out if you've used too much.
    Give it a thorough blending and there you have it (I hope)

Hope this is what you've been looking for mate and sorry for the poor half arsed recipe yesterday, my persistence paid off.

Graham.

Oh, by the way, the Black Eye Chilli is what the local Asian supermarket call the chillies I was told.
    Last edited by graham flintoft; 15-07-2015 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by graham flintoft View Post
    Hi blackcloud,

I've popped down specially for you mate to have a word with the chef seeing Wednesday is a quiet night.
    There was a language barrier I think yesterday plus a little suspicion, I've explained who it was for and they're happy to share.... So here's the full recipe

Ingredients.

2 Plumb Tomatoes. (from a can)

10 Green Chillies.

1 onion.

1 Hand full of White cabbage, shredded. (that's as much as you can grab from a bowl with one hand)

1 TBLS Chilli Powder

1 Half of a Lemon (seeds removed)

Half TBLS Garam Masala.

3 TBLS Veg oil

Good pinch Salt.

Water.

(Though the chef insisted TBLS and Not TSPS I would try Teaspoons and see how it goes flavour wise then
    if you think it lacks heat then go with the full amount stated, same goes for the Garam Masala.)

Method..

Put all the above in a blender with not too much water, just enough to get it moving. You can add but you cant take it out if you've used too much.
    Give it a thorough blending and there you have it (I hope)

Hope this is what you've been looking for mate and sorry for the poor half arsed recipe yesterday, my persistence paid off.

Graham.

Oh, by the way, the Black Eye Chilli is what the local Asian supermarket call the chillies I was told.
    Again, so much appreciated! For me not having the type of chilli sauce I like on my kebab, chips etc is like either not having salt and vinegar on fish and chips or having mayonnaise on chips rather than ketchup. Hope it works out and I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again so much and hope I can enjoy my favourite foods again soon! Not sure why the chilli sauce is so different in Glasgow to Newcastle Upon Tyne but its night and day different, I mean in Newcastle the chilli sauces vary from one kebab place to another but I found they are all pretty much the same, which is very nice. For instance another difference is I loved red cabbage on my kebabs or would have chips with red cabbage and doner meat, but here inn Scotland they don't do red cabbage with kebabs. Not a big deal as it's easy to make the red cabbage I am sure, just gotta add vinegar and salt I think.

I hope it's what you're looking for blackcloud and I see your point, after all that's why we're all here trying to replicate our favourite curries etc.

No red cabbage on the kebabs.... That's an outrage!

Let us know how it goes mate.

Cheers,

Graham.

I think you may be looking for this recipe for chili. you will need the following ingredients:
    2 onions - half white cabbage - 2 tins chopped tomatoes - tomato puree - cumin - salt - hot chilli powder.
    Dice the onions then chop the cabbage into small cubes place this in a bowl add 1 cup of cold water then using a hand blender - blend the cabbage and onion together. Next add sprinkle of salt and the both tins of tomatoes add 1 teaspoon of cumin - chilli powder or chilli flakes to taste - tomato puree if required - blend all these together add more water if required. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Thanks so much for that.
    Where did you find that recipe?
    If you have one for the red cabbage that would be great too as Ive tried everyone on the internet but none seem to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12