East End Madras vs. Rajah Madras
curry spice shop
curry spice shop

Thread: East End Madras vs. Rajah Madras

Default East End Madras vs. Rajah Madras

Hi Folks,
    as a splinter interest away from Indian cooking, I've been dabbling in Chinese chipshop-style curry (the yellowish/brown stuff). I've had consistently cracking results over the last couple of years making the concentrate with Rajah brand Madras powder. Yesterday, I made a batch using East End Madras powder as I'd heard it was good stuff and thought I would try it. However, it seemed to totally lack the flavour and punch of the Rajah stuff and was bland in comparison. I'm slightly gutted as I've now just binned 2.5kg of concentrate paste and will have to make some more. I know a lot of the forum users here have experience of both brands and I'd like your opinion on the difference. Incidentally, I have only ever used Rajah in my Indian mix powder for the RCR base sauce recipes and it is outstandingly good in that as well.
    Thanks
    Rob
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

Gateshead; A road to and from Newcastle and that's it.

I've used both of the brands you mention above Rob without any problems, I'm surprised you've been disappointed with East End. Maybe the manufacturing process went pear shaped and quality control missed it, who knows.
    I mainly use Supreme with the odd Rajah or East End spice chucked in.

I would have been seething having to sling 2.5kg of gear away. Try emailing them , you never know, they might send a load of goodies your way.

Cheers,

Graham.

Ps. I remember Mick (CBM) used to make Chinese curry concentrate and it was cracking stuff

Quote Originally Posted by graham flintoft View Post
    I've used both of the brands you mention above Rob without any problems, I'm surprised you've been disappointed with East End. Maybe the manufacturing process went pear shaped and quality control missed it, who knows.
    I mainly use Supreme with the odd Rajah or East End spice chucked in.

I would have been seething having to sling 2.5kg of gear away. Try emailing them , you never know, they might send a load of goodies your way

Cheers,

Graham.

Ps. I remember Mick (CBM) used to make Chinese curry concentrate and it was cracking stuff
    Sound advice Graham. I sent Mick a recipe for chinese curry a good while ago but I would be surprised if he used it as it looked an awfully lot of pricking about. Orange with skin, garlic with peel apple etc deep fried, geeso it looked so complicated for my simple mind!
    Anyhow, how are Graham?

Gateshead; A road to and from Newcastle and that's it.

Sounds like a right 'F' on for Chinese curry Jim.

I'll PM you mate

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by graham flintoft View Post
    Sounds like a right 'F' on for Chinese curry Jim.

I'll PM you mate

Graham
    ok mate.

Jim