Coriander

Thread: Coriander

Default Coriander

This would be good to grow, but is it not suitable to UK weather without using the kind of hydro equipment that makes the Met think you're a dealer?!
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

Hi
    Where did you get the impression that coriander will not grow in the uk Ive been growing it for 50 years or so

Good news. Thought we were too damp and not sunny enough! Do you use a pot in garden or on window sill? -as you can see I'm not taking xactly industrial quantities!!!

Coriander will grow windowsill container or best of all in the ground
    the trick is to find out what part of the garden is best from trial and error
    There is a variety called "Calypso" which is cut as needed and grows like grass Mine last through the winter here in n Wales also grown it in Kent
    Plenty of seed out there just google it.............................fresh Coriander all year round...what more could a curryhead want

Right cheers! yep spot on!

Hi Mick.
    Thanks for the tip on the coriander(Calypso) seeds. Just ordered a couple of packets. See how they go in Yorkshire . Got them from http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk seems to be the cheepist on the web 1.95 per pack and 1.95 postage. Some other sites where charging up to 4.95 for postage. Just too much for a tight Yorkshire man like me .

Ray

I swear by Slow Bolt - ideal if you have a dry soil. I have spent years breeding an even slower bolting version for the harsh conditions here. But a word of warning - the seed does not keep. I collected so much the year before last that I hardly bothered saving any seed last year. But the old seed won't grow now, so I have had to top up with commercial seed. I see Calypso is a slow bolter, so I might try some of that too.
    Cheers,
    Ferret

Thanks ferret. And thanks for the veg curry, excellent