My first proper pilau rice..

Default My first proper pilau rice..

I went down the Asian mini market today, got myself a cracking 10 litre stainless steel pot with a lid and some spices, I've been after one for ages to go with my curry pans and chef spoon, and I set out to recreate my first BIR-style pilau. I've asked for some tips on the forum recently and was kindly given some great advice. After two aborted attempts (mainly due to misjudging ratiios and heat), I got it spot on by attempt number 3 Starting again on rice isn't too much hassle or difficult I found.
    I fried the spices in a a good couple of chef spoons of oil for a few minutes, added the rice which i fried for another couple of minutes, then added the boiling water and put the lid on for 5-6 mins and turned the gas down. Towards the end I lifted the lid and stirred it a bit as I added the odd splash of boiled water and adjusted the heat to get the cooked texture just right. I transferred the rice to a plastic tupperware container and added a couple of dabs of red and yellow colour and left it to stand for half an hour before forking-in the coloured bits.
    The taste was incredible, it seemed to intensify even more after the resting period and the aroma was proper BIR. I made a simple curry for my 15 yr old daughter this evening and she is a real pilau rice head, she loved it and polished the lot off. I blasted it in the microwave just before serving. I really love garlic so I will add more garlic next time, and I tried ajwain seeds on the first two attempts and found it too overpowering so I dropped that out for the final cut and replaced it with half a tsp of garam masala which worked great. Very happy now that I've got the basics nailed I can't wait to get some more base sauce on the go and pair it up with my pilau.
    Here's what I used

6oz Pilau rice
    1 tsp cumin seeds whole
    1/2 tsp fennel seeds whole
    4 star anise
    6 cardamom pods
    5 cloves
    1 stick cinnamon
    1/2 chopped onion
    1 clove crushed garlic

450ml boiling water
    Red/yellow food powder.

pilau.jpg
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

Good effort Adventureboy,
    Well done,
    Mick

ditto ..fred45

Thanks guys, I made some more pilau yesterday morning, so simple. I scaled up to 16oz (455g) and got a good stash and put it in plastic takeaway storage containers in the freezer. Just out of interest, what sort of maximum bulk scale do you people go for when preparing your pilau in large quantities, i.e. what sort of weight quantity in rice versus water ratio and does it affect the cook time. I was thinking while my spices are still very fresh to make some more up. Cheers

I used 1 pint of dried rice to about 6 pints of water,,To be always on the safe side make sure you more than enough water in the pot if using large amounts of rice.. give your rice plenty of room to expand and move about..It does not affect the cook time...Have a look at my video to see what i mean..mines is just a basic aromatic rice not like your own where you used more flavours.. This vid will give you an idea how i make mine in a industrial way without using measures, ratio etc....Fred

Pialu rice

PLAIN RICE..

Last edited by fred45; 23-09-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fred45 View Post
    I used 1 pint of dried rice to about 6 pints of water,,To be always on the safe side make sure you more than enough water in the pot if using large amounts of rice.. give your rice plenty of room to expand and move about..It does not affect the cook time...Have a look at my video to see what i mean..mines is just a basic aromatic rice not like your own where you used more flavours.. This vid will give you an idea how i make mine in a industrial way without using measures, ratio etc....Fred

Pialu rice

PLAIN RICE..

Interesting how you sweated the onions down for fifteen mins too, I'll have to try that. Thanks for the advice and sharing your method.

I tried making the plain rice in a Rice Cooker rather than making them in a pressure cooker (which is the traditional Indian way of cooking Rice)
    I must say they came out really nice, and it was difficult for my family to spot the difference...
    Check out the video below: