BIR pilau rice - how do they do it?

Default BIR pilau rice - how do they do it?

Hiya guys, I haven't posted on here for a while. I've made the base sauce a few times over the last year or so and I've nailed it perfectly with my steel curry pans and chefs spoon, I've made the most amazing Chicken Madras and Garlic Chilli Chicken curries ever. No question, as good as any takeaway or restaurant I've ever tasted.
    My current quest is to crack the pilau rice. I've followed a few tutorials and never quite managed to get that magical 'kick' that the BIR/TA manages to give. Just as with the curry, you get that 'extra something', the chefs curry secret which we are all now managing to do with the base sauce recipes. When I buy BIR/TA pilau it is deep in flavour, aromatic, and has a nice shine and a grainy separation, something which I seem to lose through the boiling and it tastes relatively bland. I was thinking about the time it takes to do it and that the chefs are knocking out rice on an industrial scale most nights and I thought maybe they are doing something to the rice at a later stage to give it that presence. Is it possible they are pre-cooking/boiling the pilau in huge amounts in advance and flash frying it in spicy oil just before service? I was going to try this method after my next trip to the Indian supermarket when I can stock up again. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

Gateshead; A road to and from Newcastle and that's it.

This is how the rice is cooked mate and you'll find shed loads of pilau recipes dotted around the site in various sections and from members recipies. Here are a few to get started with.
    Hope this helps.

Graham.

Ps. If you find you can't gain access to any of the above recipes it's probably because you need to subscribe a fiver to help keep the site running, well worth it.

Hi Adventureboy,
    There are so many variables when it comes to cooking rice. If you are looking for a highly-flavoured finish, you could try stir-frying in seasoned oil. We actually bake it in the oven - we sprinkle the oil over the rice, cover with foil and bake at 150C for about 5 mins. This gives good grain separation and enhances the flavour.
    Other things you could experiment with:
    - the brand of rice itself
    - add more flavourings when boiling/steaming; we use whole seeds (cumin, ajwain, aniseed), cardamom, cassia, cloves
    - add more salt; this can make a big difference
    - if you don't already use food colouring, it can have a surprising effect on the eating experience. We flick small quantities of red and orange food colouring onto the rice before it is baked in the oven.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Ferret

Thanks for your replies on this thread, I'm going to get some more bits and pieces from the asian shop and I'll try some of these methods.

If you go for the frying method make sure your rice is dry, its best to cook it the day before to be honest and let it dry out prior to placing it in the pan. Unless you use stupid amounts of oil you will find the rice will stick when its wet.

Word of caution though, rice is one of the bad foods that attracts bacteria quickly once cooked so often that bad stomach you can get after eating a take away is down to the old rice they have used. So dont cook it the week before to get it completely dry.