Onion bhajis help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Onion bhajis help!

Hi all at RCR,

I need a little advice regarding making onion bhajis?

My recipe is

13-14 onions sliced
    2 eggs
    2 tbs garlic & ginger paste
    2 tbs mix powder
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    1 tbs methi leaves
    1 teaspoon fennel seeds
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1 cup of gram flour
    1 small piece of grated potato
    salt added at the end

The problem I get is it does not stick & form into a ball very well or it goes the other way & is to wet, I know adding the salt starts to bring moisture out of the onions that's why I add it last but I am finding it very tricky.

Does anybody have any tricks or tips they can share to make the process easier?

Does adding rice flour as well as gram flour help or improve the final bhaji?

Many Thanks Farang
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

Hi Farang.
    Try this recipe. http://www.secretcurryrecipes.com/cu...63-Onion-Bajee A comment by King Prawn was saying the biggest mistake is the water. Ether too little or too much. Only made bhajis once and that was a Slimming World recipe and Thay where baked in the oven. I was not keen on them at all and lacked a little something the deep-fried ones had. Anyway best of luck and letus know how you get on.

Ray

Thanks Snowtop I will give that 1 a go, the cooking of them I can do OK as I have a deep fat fryer & I drop them in for 4 mins on 160 then pull them out stick a the opposite end of a spoon in the middle of them to make a hole & re fry them for about 1-2 mins, its just the making them into balls that I have the problem, getting it sticky without being to wet is a skill I haven't mastered yet, my wife is Thai & she has suggested I put a powder in them that they use for sticky rice so I think I will give that a go, I will let you know how that goes..

Hi farang
    I have been using Cheddars recipe who posts on here from his blog. No water is added as the mixture is left for an hour and the salt brings out the moisture from the onions. I really recommend giving this a try, had great results.
    Cheers
    Steve

Link to the blog recipe is here Onion Bhaji's

Hi chedders,
    Just like to say what an excellent blog matey. Bhaji recipe and method is spot on.
    Cheers
    Steve

Cool glad you like them, I know they are normally a hit when I serve them.

I have been serving quite a few chicken sheek kababs of late http://bircooking.blogspot.co.uk/sea...Sheek%20Kababs

Just so everyone is aware, the blog was started as i got fed up of writing out recipes for friends and family so its just my personal blog really. Its not meant in any way to compete with this site or micks fantastic ebook. Its not of that standard.

Thanks for the heads up stetip,

Great Bhaji recipe chedders I use all your pastes from your blog they are great.

I tried them today with Gram flour & rice flour that they use for sticky rice (Glutinous rice flour) it worked a treat.

The recipe at the top is the one I use too. I never add water to the mixture but a tip I got from Julian Voigt is to have a bowl of water next to you when making the balls. Just wet your hands each time and the bhajis do tend to form well.

Nice one for the chicken kebab recipe Cheddars, looks damn tasty.... think I might put my left over Turkey Ball recipe on hold this year and make some of these instead... if u blend the turkey meat to crumbs in a blender and add some yogurt u get a similar texture to raw meat.. hey presto... think I might those ago..
    as for the onion bhajis, I use the salt method too...
    rgds, Ger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast