Flame grill flavour on gas stove
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flame grill flavour on gas stove

Shrewsbury (go up past Birmingham for a bit, then turn left)

Default Flame grill flavour on gas stove

Guys,

Help! I'm looking for methods that will give me a flame grilled type effect on my gas stove. My searches seem to suggest a BBQ But I want convenience of indoors...any suggestions are welcome!

Regards,

Martin

Don't experiment with indoor grills/BBQs unless they are professionally installed by a qualified fitter. Every Summer I read depressing stories of this nature. You can buy various Tandoors which are safe to use outdoors, but indoor use requires proper ventilation and extraction.
    Sorry to come over all Health and Safety, but we like to boast that this site hasn't killed anyone yet
    Ferret

Same here Martin looking into these ideas
    Using a piece of charcoal in the centre of a dish, there is a video of it somewhere but can't seem to find it.
    Also using lapsang souchong tea leaves
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

2 methods you can try.

1. as unclefrank suggests is get a hot charcoal and place it on the plate and then cover with a lid so the smoke infuses the dish, I have heard of quite a few people doing this to good effect but not something I have personally tried. Be careful when removing the lid as it can produce a lot of smoke. I have also heard of placing the coal in a small dish with a little oil or Ghee to produce more smoke.

2. this is a strange one but you can buy liquid smoke. You can add a few drops of this to a meal to give it that smoky taste. I believe there are quite a few sellers of it on ebay. If you have never come across liquid smoke you might be surprised to hear its what they use to make your smoky bacon. They inject liquid smoke into the meat when its being mass produced.

Good suggestions. We use the hot coal when doing Butter Chicken and it works really well. I have tried liquid smoke and it's not my thing, but if you like that American hickory-smoked BBQ ribs sort of flavour then it's worth a try. It can be bought cheaply on the internet.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Shrewsbury (go up past Birmingham for a bit, then turn left)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and concerns too, lol!

I've used the charcoal in a ramekin dish with a little oil for years for Makhani and other dishes. I've never tried it on steak/burgers and the like but who knows? I have a Pro Q smoker for outside and it's great but was just hoping there was a quick, indoor method I'd been missing that was good for quick 'one offs'.

Cheers Guys

Martin

I use a blow torch to get the caramalised bits you need for flavour on my meat and veg.

Last edited by daveyham; 07-05-2013 at 08:09 PM.

I use a cast iron griddle, once seasoned you'll get great results, time and time again.

Hi Davey,
    Those printed pages look familiar

Mick

Spot the e-Book!!!
    Ferret

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast