How to make Homemade Naga Chilli Paste?
curry spice shop
curry spice shop

Thread: How to make Homemade Naga Chilli Paste?

Default How to make Homemade Naga Chilli Paste?

Has anybody got any great recipes for making Homemade Naga Chilli Paste please? I would like ones without mustard oil as it is impossible to get it where i live?

Also do I have to use Naga chillies? or can I use a substitute as Naga's are impossible to get over here as well?

Many Thanks

Farang
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

If you're after that distinctive naga taste, then there's only one way to achieve it (you know what's coming next!).

But in the absence of nagas, which to be honest are prohibitively expensive even if you can get hold of them, then it is indeed possible to get pretty damn close with habaneros/Scotch bonnets, which is how the Viceroy Brasserie near Watford make their 'naga' paste.

Here's how they do it (this is the first of three videos):

I've made a few batches of this myself, and it really is very good. Is it the same as Mr Naga? Nope - you'll still have to buy Mr Naga if, like me, you're hopelessy addicted to the stuff, but considering that this recipe would cost nigh on 30 to make if you were buying nagas at 50p each (I kid you not) it's an excellent substitute.

And Ali, the restaurant owner, is a super friendly chap. I emailed him a while ago to ask him why he doesn't use nagas and he was happy to admit that, while they do keep fresh nagas in the kitchen for other uses, with the paste it's purely a cost thing - and then he very generously sent me a load of nagas by post. Top man!

Anyway, give it a go. You'll need to do some guessing on the quantities involved as this is being knocked up in catering size in the video, but I'd start off by halving the quantity of Scotch bonnets to 1kg, which will give you enough finished paste to fill a good-sized jar.

Thank you so much for your reply Salvador I really appreciate you taking the time to share that very useful knowledge with me.

The biggest problem I have is I live in a place in Thailand called Isaan which is great but unfortunately when it comes to sourcing anything that is not Thai it is virtually impossible, I will definitely give this a try but i will probably have to use 1 of the Thai chillies.

Thanks again for your help.

Farang

No doubt there are many varieties of chilli pepper available in Thai markets, but the only type of Thai chilli peppers I've encountered are the legendary birds eye (or phrik khi nu). While they have the heat they don't have so much of the 'fruity' flavour you get with scotch bonnets / nagas.

But the solution has to be to grow them. I grow my own nagas in the UK, and they should go crazy for the Thai climate, but of course you'll need some seeds. I use the seeds from packets of dried nagas, but this isn't much use to you if you can't buy them out there, so are you able to order online, Farang, or is it possible for people to post you things from abroad?

If so, maybe someone will be able to send you out a pack of dried nagas?

Just a thought.

That's a great idea, like you say chillies grow for fun over here, I might even be able to sell a few, first thing tomorrow I'm on Skype mythering everybody I know in the UK to send me some Naga seeds.

I made a paste before with the Phrik khi nu chillies but I think its far to hot to use in the jalfrezi I'm working on at the moment, but the paste will definitely be useful for a phal.

In the video link you sent me he mentions he puts a 5 spice mix in but only mentions 3 of the spices? do you know what they are?

I used to use Habaneros before I could find Nagas. Takes about 4-5 of them to equal 1 naga and you end up adding a lot more chili flesh which changes the taste of the curry a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by farangfood View Post
    That's a great idea, like you say chillies grow for fun over here, I might even be able to sell a few, first thing tomorrow I'm on Skype mythering everybody I know in the UK to send me some Naga seeds.

I made a paste before with the Phrik khi nu chillies but I think its far to hot to use in the jalfrezi I'm working on at the moment, but the paste will definitely be useful for a phal.

In the video link you sent me he mentions he puts a 5 spice mix in but only mentions 3 of the spices? do you know what they are?
    The spice mix is more commonly known as Panch Puren (or Panch Phoran), and contains fenugreek, fennel, cumin, mustard and nigella seeds.

You can buy it pre-mixed (see: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acata...nch-puren.html), but it's easy enough to put together yourself by mixing together equal quantites of the above spices.

Ah, sweet chilli memories! It's been years since I grew them, but here's the recipe I used. The peppadews are sweeter and milder and will mellow out the sauce for your poor friends!

1 cup chillis and/or peppadews
    1 onion
    1 apple
    1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon salt

Method:
    Remove seeds !! Dice. Boil for 20 minutes. Blend smooth. Bottle while warm.