Indian spices: for cooking and better health
curry spice shop
curry spice shop

Thread: Indian spices: for cooking and better health

Default Indian spices: for cooking and better health

Indian food is famous for its spice. The sheer number of spices can combine in so many different ways to create delicious flavors. What many donít know is that not only do the spices add a lot in the way of flavor, but they add nutritional benefit as well.

A sample of spices

Kotwal Singh, a chef at Grand Taj Curry and Grill gives a list of some of the most popular Indian spices, how to use them, and what added health benefits they can offer.

Saffron is considered the most expensive spice in the world. According to Singh you can expect to pay 11 dollars per gram. It is commonly used in rice and desserts
    Ginger is known for combatting nausea and cloves are used for toothaches. Together mixed with onions and garlic, they create a popular flavor base for many Indian dishes
    Turmeric has a bitter taste and is used in many curry dishes. It is also to help people meditate. It can be found in many prescription drugs and is good for those with high blood sugar
    Cumin is used for adding a smoky flavor. It is more often used for lamb dishes. It is not recommended for most chicken dishes.
    Cinnamon is a popular spice that is commonly used in desserts and in curry dishes.
    Cardamom is another spice that is commonly used in curries. Black cardamom is slightly bitter and sweet. Green cardamom is less bitter and more sweet.
    Fenugreek leaf doesnít have its own unique flavor but Chef Singh recommends using it as a flavor enhancer
    Sesame seeds and cashews can be ground to a paste and used as a thickener in curry dishes. It is tastier than using flour as a thickener

Many of these ingredients can be found in your local grocery store, some you may have to special order. So consider adding some of these to your kitchen and start experimenting.

Food News brought to you by
    Last edited by graham flintoft; 08-02-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

There is a popular spice in Indian food called curcumin may prove useful for more than just cooking. Dr. Saraswati Sukumar from Johns Hopkins University is hopeful that that curcumin, the extract of turmeric, may be able to fight off, and maybe even prevent, illnesses such as diabetes and cancer.
    Last edited by jarredneilsen; 16-02-2013 at 04:13 AM.

Health benefits maybe correct but the use of them in this post is all wrong. For example cumin is used for lamb dishs and not recommended for chicken ? Somehow I don't think this came from a BIR chef.

Quote Originally Posted by chedders View Post
    Somehow I don't think this came from a BIR chef.
    Indeed, I was waiting for Crepes to be mentioned

Hmmm... I replied to a thread about crepe pans this morning afore heading out to work. Fella was looking for a good crepe pan. I advised molla, that he could maybe use a Tawa for a fraction of the price. The whole thread has gone I think.
    Not good when you take the time to post advice.

Gateshead; A road to and from Newcastle and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    Hmmm... I replied to a thread about crepe pans this morning afore heading out to work. Fella was looking for a good crepe pan. I advised molla, that he could maybe use a Tawa for a fraction of the price. The whole thread has gone I think.
    Not good when you take the time to post advice.
    My fault Stevie sorry, I should've explained earlier. The bloke who posted is only on to advertise his crepe site, i've deleted quite a few of his posts. There's never any mention of curry (not that it's the law on here only to speak of curry) But he would comment something like "Mm nice" then leave adds for crepe stuff and nothing else so he got the zap and a little word edit too for good luck.

And let that be a lesson to the rest of the free loaders

Sorry again mate.

Graham.

Just saw this Graham, no bid deal neeb. I knew the guy/gal was at it, just wanted to see if they'd respond to some genuine advice.

Well i do beleive in that,These spices are undoubley which makes the food something else i mean they plays a very important role in the taste of it.
    You have shared a good thing i mean by sharing it's benefits.
    Last edited by Andre21; 25-05-2013 at 02:57 PM.