GLASGOW BASE (curry) SAUCE
curry spice shop
curry spice shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GLASGOW BASE (curry) SAUCE

Shrewsbury (go up past Birmingham for a bit, then turn left)

Default GLASGOW BASE (curry) SAUCE

Hi,

This is photos of the base at the start and end, together with a prawn madras I knocked up at my moths in laws house, so I had to improvise a bit, lol! The pictures don't do it justice as I had to come back to it later and microwave it...not so good!

I enjoyed them all though! (Korma, Chasni, madras and dhansak)

Regards,

Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Second batch of glasgow base and cooking a pathia - some pictures

Here's some photos from yesterdays activities in the kitchen....

Assuming you can actually see them(!) They are at various stages of the cooking process. One compares my last batch of base (from the freezer) to the second batch I made yesterday - light's not great but hopefully you can see the oil content is consistent and the colour is actually the same in both, the shadow from the pot makes the new one look darker. FYI I yielded 20 portions from the 5kg base recipe and here are the bags ready for the freezer, minus the curries I made straight away.

Regards to all,

Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images

The base sauce looks spot on. I just want to dive in.......
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

Hi Martin. The pics look the business bud,well done. I'm from the Fife area myself,so l'm gonna try this base sauce next. l take it,when using THIS base sauce,the recipe ingredients for a Madras,say, would be different to the ingredients if you were using a Melting base sauce. Also did you find you have to use water to thin the base down a little,because of reduction when cooking? And (LASTLY ) is Freds base sauce smooth or has it got a bit of a texture to it?
    By the by,l used your veg pakora,and red sauce recipes that you posted a few years ago,and they were spot on! I had great results with them both and use them all the time.
    Cheers Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by fred45 View Post
    The base sauce looks spot on. I just want to dive in.......
    Thanks, pal, it's good to know that it looks how it should look!

I just made a batch of this sauce today. Mine looks exactly the same texture as Martin's. It seems strange to have it this thick, but as fred says, it's a finished sauce not a base gravy, so there will be no reducing involved.
    I'll do a Jaipuri tomorrow and see how it goes..

Quote Originally Posted by superspark View Post
    Hi Martin. The pics look the business bud,well done. I'm from the Fife area myself,so l'm gonna try this base sauce next. l take it,when using THIS base sauce,the recipe ingredients for a Madras,say, would be different to the ingredients if you were using a Melting base sauce. Also did you find you have to use water to thin the base down a little,because of reduction when cooking? And (LASTLY ) is Freds base sauce smooth or has it got a bit of a texture to it?
    By the by,l used your veg pakora,and red sauce recipes that you posted a few years ago,and they were spot on! I had great results with them both and use them all the time.
    Cheers Andy.
    Andy,

Glad you enjoyed the pakora recipe - I sometimes add a bit of cauliflower to the recipe in stead of some of the onion (even though I hate it, it is okay in a pakora!)

Mate if you search around you should find some recipes for Fred's base - in fact if I remember correctly he tells you how to cook a madras at the end of the base sauce recipe? From memory it's just adding:

2 heaped tsp of chilli paste (bird's eye chillies blitzed with oil)
    1 tsp tomato paste, undiluted
    1 tsp methi
    1 tsp garlic/ginger paste

dash of lemon juice at the very end if you want it
    sprinkle of fresh coriander.

bosh!

I'm adding the base sauce a chef spoon at a time - Start the whole thing with a spoon of base, add the above stuff to it and cook for a bit. Then add pre-cooked meat and more base until it looks like a portion size you're happy with (say 250ml). Only when it's 'finished' would I consider adding water to dilute but I've not done so yet. The base doesn't actually reduce like other base gravies do, in fact it actually loosens up a bit. Just have a go and tell us how you did. Good luck!

Regards,

Martin

Gateshead; A road to and from Newcastle and that's it.

Thanks for all the feedback Martin, i'm sure it'll help us out when we have a go at Freds Glasgow base.
    I'll be trying it in a couple of weeks time because this week i'm doing a catering job using either Micks or the Mb3 base so there's no time for experimenting.

Cheers,

Graham.

do u have the recipe for the base sauce please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast