Healty Soup - recipe pending

Thread: Healty Soup - recipe pending

Default Healty Soup - recipe pending

Hi all, picked up a tub of soup in the supermarket a few days ago (something I never do coz their always rubbish), spiced goan tomato and lentil soup and I have to say, for something from a tub... it was quite nice... tasty, but the usual packaged flavour mingling....

The ingredients - listed on packaging
    Tomato 50%, Water, Potato, Onion, Carrot, Yogurt, Red Lentils (4%), Celery, Coriander (1%), Veg Oil, Ginger Puree, Garlic Puree, Sugar, Salt, Cornflour, Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Tumeric, Chilli Powder

Now I reckon I might just have a shot at making this but to describe it... it had a nice tomato flavour with cumin being the dominent spice, mild on the heat ( if u know what I mean )... could be made with a good quality passata.... if I get around to it, i'll post a recipe

rgds, Ger
    PS. I'm never using tinned tomatoes ever again in my base.... EVER
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

What don't you like about tinned tom's then Technoe?

Also, you should try Egyptian Lentil soup. It's a cumin-y lentil soup that's really healthy and there are loads of recipes on the web for it (try you tube as well).

KP(v)

Well, I guess when u compare them to fresh, then they are absolute rubbish, but more importantly I would also be aware that spices would be used in authentic cooking to complement / enhance the freshness of the ingredients used to create a dish or on the flip side... if the ingredients were not very fresh, then spices would be used to disguise this fact... To be fair, when spending a few days cooking curry at home, i think that the fresher the ingredients used, the better and in my opinion, tomato pasata makes a better alternative. I am basing this on the food that my local restaurant serves where everything they use is fresh... and that includes the tomatoes.
    Anyway, without writing a novel I remember a moment when I was learning chinese cooking.. had my garlic chopped, onions sliced, ginger sliced, carrots and brocolli and peppers chopped , fresh chicken sliced, and I was just about to open a can of waterchestnuts for that authentic chinese flavour when I suddenly noticed the odd one out...
    Bang on with the healthy soup, but what's scary is how damn 'authentic' it taste with such very little oil. I did a web search and there are lots of recipes.. so if u have ever cooked one, please let me know. I do have a funny story regarding tomatoes but that's for another day.
    rgds, Ger

Its a really nice thread about healthy soup recipes. Its really a fantastic recipe that you people shared. Thank you for the wonderful posts about soup recipes.
    Last edited by Curry Barking Mad; 09-09-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Wow! Thanks...this is a fabulous assortment.I soup! Thanks for this round up,
    Soups are quite healthy and easy to make. Vegetable, chicken and other soups are enriched with all of the essential nutrients required by our body.
    Last edited by Curry Barking Mad; 09-09-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Tomato Soup and French Onion soup...
    If you haven't had any vitamin C today, go with the tomato for the vitamin C--it is a water soluble vitamin that you need to have every day. Both are healthy--tomato is loaded with Vitamin C, onion has a lot of anti-oxidants. Neither is high in calories--why not have both?

Hi Guys,

I have added the recipe for cabbage soup which is very healthier.

Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until soft and brown, about 5 minutes.

Add the onions and cook stirring, until soft and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, peppers and garlic and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to brown and become fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, garlic and onion powder, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.

Add the cabbage to the pot and stir until it begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Pour in the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and 1 cup water. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.