Bunjara/Garlic/ginger paste - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bunjara/Garlic/ginger paste

Hi KP,

In my "50 Great Curries Of India" book by Camellia Panjabi she states that turmeric does not burn easily in the section on individual spices and frying times. She says that cumin powder and chilli powder are easier to burn.

Of course she could be wrong.

Paul
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

Yes she does say that, but in the same paragraph mentions that it only takes a few *seconds* for tumeric to release it's flavour. Believe me that burnt tumeric is not a nice taste in a curry or a rice dish.

It's once more down to the individual chef, the cooking temperature, the cooking vessel, what else is in the pan and speed that is important.

My post was intended as a guide for good practice and not the definitive word on the matter

KP

Lol,

You've obviously read the same paragraph KP!

She also writes about the old chestnut that putting some spud in an over-salty curry will remove some of the saltiness.

I don't think that works, do you?

Paul

Default That Looks good

Must admit that they do look Good Scobie

Can't say I ever tried that one Paul....If it's too salty I tend to bulk it out with more and more ingredients until it's about right. I also would add something sour and something sweet just to confuse the palate a bit.

KP

Hi

Not sure of the point of adding turmeric to it. I have tried it with and without and makes no difference. It didn't burn during the frying stage but i fry at a relatively low heat anyway!

Barry

Any chance of the recipe.
    Looks fantastic

Hi Tony hereís my take on garlic and ginger paste. Hope this is what you are looking for?

Ray😉😉😉

Ginger
    Garlic
    2 tbsps Oil or as needed
    2 tbsps Salt or as needed
    2 tsps Turmeric powder or as needed

Take EQUAL quantities of Ginger and Garlic

Wash the ginger , peel the skin.
    Peel the skin of garlic
    Now in a blender or food processor , without adding water, slowly pulse the ginger and garlic to a semi fine paste
    Scrape the sides every couple of pulses.

Once the paste is done, add turmeric, salt and oil. Pulse few more times to mix well.

Store in an airtight container(glass preferably) in the fridge. You can also portion the paste and freeze if you wish. If you are going to freeze it I donít think there is any need for the oil or salt. Though I would still put the turmeric in.

As the ginger garlic paste is stored in fridge, the oil will come to top and gets thicken with a foamy look. Just mix it back in every time you use. I usually freeze in ice cube trays then transfer to plastic bags for use when needed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123