Spice Grinder
curry spice shop
curry spice shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spice Grinder

Default Spice Grinder

Not sure how everyone grinds their spices: pestle & mortar, buy them pre-ground, or maybe use a grinder?

Up until about a month ago I used to buy pre-ground, which produced a good end result. However, I then invested a coffee grinder (namely a krups f20342: [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00004SPEU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001ALKDGY&pf_rd_m=A3P5 ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1FDXFZHDWZ1D2EZJTG1N"]Krups Twin Blade Coffee Mill: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame] it retails for about 18 ) - and I then became a grinder convert!

It might seem an expensive outlay, but I've found it certainly makes a difference in the final product, and also prevents aching arm syndrome from the times when I've tried using a pestle & mortar! The other bonuses are that I used to find I might not use up all the pre-ground spices, so now I just buy whole spices, and grind small quantities as required, and larger quantities for things like garam masala. This particular grinder holds about an 85g capacity and does produce a fine powder rather than a husky one.

I appreciate there are quite a few other brands around, but after researching and actually using it, I would certainly recommend it! Just don't use it for coffee after filling it with Indian spices - your java beans might turn into lava beans!
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

spicedup is offline Senior Member Supreme Curry Master

I am also a convert to the spice grinder, the smell from preparing your own cumin and corriander seeds is far superior to powder.
    I have a revel wet and dry grinder which I also use for preparing garlic and ginger paste etc.
    Its a bit more pricey but I wouldn't be without it.
    Greg
    http://www.pots-and-pans.co.uk/acata...ml?shopping=GB

sced is offline Senior Member Curry Master

I agree totaly , using freshly ground spices make a massive difference both in taste and aroma of the dish,
    Pete

hi im new here im currenlty lookinf for 2 things a good spice grinder and a really good indian curry cookbook any ideas,ps i can't view replies .
    Last edited by nhicks; 31-10-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Hi nhicks, welcome to RCR. Don't know about the grinder, but if you would like good curry's then subscribe to the site and you have over 600 recipes to choose from. Happy Cooking?

Ray

thanks ray
    i have been doing research into the above krups grinder it don't sound that good , 5 sec bursts,plus i have reviews about this product and the motor burning out

Hi,
    I have an ancient Moulinex and it is still going strong. It once got wet and jammed up, so I drilled a small hole in the casing, sprayed in WD-40 and left it for 30 minutes before firing it up - literally, as it happens, because the WD-40 ignited with a bang and a tongue of flame shot out the hole.
    Don't try that at home kids....
    Welcome to the site, by the way.
    Ferret

I have an old moulinex too Tim, a quick burst grinding some rice cleans it afterwards, job done.

betty

That's a really top tip, Betty - thanks.
    Tim

I read quite a few reviews on Amazon for the krupps 2 blade grinder and it seems a lot of people are using them for spices, so thanks for the info.

Previously I had used a single blade cheap coffee grinder and it wasn't up to the job with spices. I might end up buying both the Revel wet'n'dry and the Krupps twin blade.

Cheers,

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast