Green Chicken

Thread: Green Chicken

chilliface Guest

Default Green Chicken

When I was in India I had some chicken that was coated in something green. It came when Tandoori chicken was ordered along with white coloured chicken which was garlicy, your regular tandoori style chicken tikka, and this amazing green chicken.

Does anyone know what it's called and whats used to make it?

Thanks.
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

I had green king prawns once, they were said to have been marinated in green chilli, spinach, and fresh spices (likely coriander and mint, but maybe methi as well). Perhaps worth trying a paste and seeing how it turns out. Obviously there would have been garlic, ginger and spices in there as well....

KP(v)

I have eaten green chicken too, can't remember where, but I can remember it was called Hara Murgh. KP seems to have nailed the technique quite accurately judging by the following recipe which I found by googling harah murgh. I'll try this soon but will need to wait until I have had a delivery of fresh herbs from Bordeaux:

Hara Murgh

8 medium sized pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
    2 medium onions chopped
    1 cups each of fresh coriander and mint leaves chopped (loosely packed)
    2 celery sticks
    4 green chillies
    2 teaspoons each of ginger, garlic pastes
    1 teaspoons each of cumin and hot spice mix (garam masala) powders
    4 teaspoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons oil
    salt to taste
    fresh cream and finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing

1. Grind the coriander, celery and mint leaves along with the chopped onions, green chillies and lemon juice to make a green paste. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium level for about 2 minutes.
    2. Add the green paste and fry on medium level for about 5 minutes or till the paste is a pale green. Add the ginger-garlic pastes,garam masala and cumin powders. Fry again for a few seconds.
    3. Add the chicken and sprinkle salt to taste. Mix well. Cover and cook on low heat for about 30 minutes or till the chicken is tenderised.

Garnish with fresh cream and finely chopped coriander.

TIP: The green paste can be made from any combination of green leafy vegetables like spinach, dill, fenugreek, basil, oregano, parsely along with fresh coriander.

Nice one ferret....thought I wonder about the 'tip' at the end. This would surely alter the taste depending on the herbs used! (I know that you know that, but I like stating the obvious!)

KP(v)

chilliface Guest

Cheers, I'm definitely gonna try the Hara Murgh when I get home! I'll throw some methi and spinach in there as well and see what happens!

Will be a while before I can try it though.

jessingh84 Guest

Hello! this sounds like a type of saag if i am not mistaken. look up saag murgh and see what comes up.

Its sounds great.

I had this in Hyderabad, although with lamb - so weird, the green, but so so good. Spinach, mint and coriander were in it. I might be describing something else, but it was superb