Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Chicken Naga - Recipe Request

Hi All,
    Does anybody have a recipe for chicken naga using the melting base 3 gravy, its description given by the takeaway is:

Chicken or Lamb Naga (Chicken Tikka cooked with onion, tomatoes, capsicums with exotic herbs & fairly hot spices).

I usually ask for it extra hot (bit of a chilli head). Generally its consistancy is quite thick (reddish brown colour), and as others have mentioned in their descriptions l can only describe the sauce as almost meaty.

Thanks.

If you don't grow your own, then a jar of Mr Naga will add a little something to your dish...

KP(v)
    I *used* to have a medal on here, but now I don't any more

Thanks for the reply, with regards fresh naga's, luckily a 15 minute drive gets me to a Bengali shop that has them (10p each - 4.50 bag of 50). I use them in most dishs now for the extra heat. The store also has the Mr Naga Hot Pickle (1.99) which doesnt last me long, everytime l go into the Kitchen l just have to have some (bag of mini pompadoms from Sainsburys, 1 tsp on each mini pompadom = pleasure)

With regards the recipe, despite them calling it Chicken Naga, pretty sure there is no fresh naga in it. At first l thought they might of been using the Mr Naga Pickle, but tried that and ruled it out. Guessing they are using some sort of chili sauce (not sure if there is a Mr Naga sauce as opposed to the Pickle).

Next time l visit the takeaway i will try and press them for the ingredients \ recipe, spent enough with them over the years.

Despite asking for the dish extra hot, generaly when l get it back to the house, l garnish it with a few fresh naga's - if l dont look as if l have just got out of the shower after eating a hot curry then it wasn't hot enough

Hi haggis. This sounds a little too hot for my taste, but let us know if you get the recipe. I for one would to cook it for a friend, who like you likes it Hot hot hot.

Ray

Hi Ray,
    Will post any thing l can get out of my local takeaway. Just noticed you location says South Yorkshire, join the club. It took me a while to find a shop that stores basically everything l could need in my curry making efforts.
    I'm sure you will have your sources for ingredients but if you get stuck try this place:

Bangla Bazaar

Paste the address bellow in google maps - and drag the man (street view icon on to the A caption)

315 Staniforth Rd, Norton, Sheffield S9 3, United Kingdom

Thumbs up

Hi Haggis

Count me in for this one, I to are mad for heat, infact I would call it an addiction

Vindy

LETS KEEP IT HOT

Unhappy

Hi Haggis
    Thanks for the info? I usually get my spices from the RCR shop, as Barnsley is like the the pacific is to grass when it comes to spices .

Ray

Hi All,
    Not yet managed to crack this one but getting pretty close, for all you hot heads give this a try in the meantime (went back to trying Naga Pickle until l find out what the takeaway is using).

Follow the recipe for MBR madras

http://indian-recipe.org/curryforum/...ead.php?t=2580

Use base tikka instead of pre-cooked chicken (Shazans tikka is OK for this one if you have some)
    Instead of 1 teaspoon of chili powder use 2 teaspoons
    Instead of 1 1/2 tablespoons of tom paste mix use 2 tablespoons
    At the time of adding the tomato paste also add

1 tablespoon of Mr Naga hot pickle
    1/2 tablespoon of Patak Tandori Paste
    1/8 tablespoon of Patak Tikka Paste

The above is the starting point, for some this will already be too hot, for others like me, add some chilies as well (preferably Naga's)

For my friends l just add a single Naga (thats about their limit at present, but working on them). Feedback from them has been good, but l am still determined to get it spot on.

Side note for vindycurry dependant on how hot you want this l find between 5 to 10 Naga's hits the spot quite nicely.

If anyone does give this one a try please let us know what you think. Mr Naga Hot Pickle should be available in most Asian \ Bengali shops (1.99), if your stuck just ask at your local takeaway where you can get it. Mine has been quite helpful in that respect, and has offered to get me stuff if l don't want to drive to the place l usualy go etc.

Interesting concept Haggis this is another one on my list, Im always looking for diff takes on dishes, if its gonna make it hotter count me in lol.

Vindy

LETS KEEP IT HOT

pumbar is offline Junior Member Junior Chef

Default Great stuff

This was my favourite curry back in the UK. The Murad Balti in Wallasey used to cook a beast of a naga, as hot as the rectal gasses of the lucifuge himself. It tasted chocolatey, I've come close by using green bird eye chillis and adding a few cubes of plain chocolate at the end (they've never heard of naga chillies in Oz). Using the madras recipe as a base. It's pretty spectacular and always makes me homesick (after the copious sweats are over and a load of beers have been consumed to put the fire out in my mouth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast