Mango Chicken
curry spice shop
curry spice shop
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mango Chicken

glivo Guest

Default Mango Chicken

I hope someone here can help with this. I have moved house and now live forty kilometers away from the Indian Restaurant run by the parents of an ex - student of mine. My kids loved their Mango Chicken (very sweet and mild). It is like the Mango chicken sold in many places but it is not anything like the rubbish offered up when you do a recipe search.

I have been experimenting and trying all sorts of things but can't replicate the beatiful flavours. Mango is in season and plentiful so I'd love to find a GOOD recipe.
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

glivo Guest

Well I made a batch of Melting Base and also 1.5 kg of Pre-cooked Chicken. Folllowing the Chicken Korma recipe produced a pleasing result. I used the other half of the chicken with some base and pureed fresh mango and stirred in a cup of whipped yoghurt. The result was a nice tasting dish that was sweet and fruity but it lacks the richness and body familiar in the restaurant version. The processes are good but there is something missing.

sced is offline Senior Member Curry Master

Hi Glivo try micks chicken chasni recipe it is very sweet and has mango chutney in it , with a bit of added fresh mango it may be what you are looking for, i think you will find it in member submitted recipes
    Pete

glivo Guest

A new IR has opened closer to home (15 km) and they sell the same Mango Chicken that is available in nearly every Restaurant in Australia.

Why cant I find a recipe for it?

The chicken Breast Fillet pieces have been cooked in Tandoor by the look of them (slightly chared on corners) sort of like a Tikka and they are served in a rich, sweet, creamy mango sauce / gravy which is usually brightly coloured orange.

I bought some on Friday afternoon and the shop was running low so they sent one of the staff out and he came back with 2 large cans of preserved mango cheeks.

If I subscribe will I find the answer?

glivo Guest

This might help.
    Restaurants refer to a dish of Chicken in a Mild Creamy Mango sauce.
    Chicken Mango Masala.
    Mildly Spiced Creamy Mango gravy.
    etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by glivo View Post

If I subscribe will I find the answer?
    If you don't subscribe you will never know. I have been a member for a few weeks and up to now saved myself over 75.
    Everybody has different tastes and it always takes a bit of experimenting to get your dishes to your liking but with the recipes and help on this forum I think you will be able to achieve what you want.

Alan

Perhaps the restaurant you went to used mango chutney in its dish?

This would account for the sweet and richer flavour as the chutney would have spices in as well. There's also a lot of sugar in chutney.

Just a thought.

KP(v)

glivo Guest

Perhaps Mango Chicken is not readily available in the UK. It is very common here in Australia and I have eaten it from at least 6 different Restaurants.

Searching through online menus I have found only 1 instance of it in UK at Mango House. Item 115 on their menu .pdf file. It is a "House Recommendation". Sorry I could not insert a link.

Has anybody eaten this dish? Does anybody know how to cook it?

If you haven't tried it you don't know what your missing.

Recipezaar list 172 recipes with Mango and Chicken, none of which are what I'm after. Google produces rubbish recipes.

I have this morning found 2 Pakistani recipes for Creamy Chicken Masala and Mango Yoghurt Gravy, the second of which looks very similar. I'll try to hybdridise the 2 to see if I can get close. I don't think the dish has any Chilli as there is no "heat" at all.

glivo

My wife used to like a lot of the mild sweet curries and on several occasions she has had Mahkani Chicken that has had mango in. I recently made her the melting base recipe Butter Chicken and she added some mango pulp in it and said it tasted like some of the Mahkani she has had.
    Hope this helps.

Alan

glivo Guest

Thanks alant. I'll give it a try but I don't think the dish is made with the usual melting base of onions etc.

Last nights version was very nice, as usual, but not the target dish, as usual. I think I'm getting close though. I'm looking for a North Indian dish of Tandoori Chicken in a mildly spiced, rich Creamy Mango Gravy.

I made a Mango Gravy with Curd (yoghurt), coconut cream, Palm Sugar, mild green chilli, tumeric, cashew nuts which is then tempered with oil, mustard seed and curry leaf.

To this I added chicken which was prepared in a tandoori marinade and grilled.

Very nice but it just lacks the "velvety" texture and subtle rich flavour.

There were some problems with my recipe preparation as it called for Jaggery and I substituted Palm Sugar and it called for 3 cashewnuts, which in my opinion is insufficient to have any real effect.

What does Asafoetida do in a recipe? Would Amchoor (Amchur) powder help?

I think I'll try a similar sauce but use either Sour Cream or Full Cream instead of curd. I'll also try to source some Jaggery and I'll up the quantity of cashews.

What would be better is for some kindly person to say "Hey Greg, this is what your after." I'm still having fun though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast