Default caraway or cumin?

Hi
    Just wondering if there is a difference between caraway and cumin seeds? They seem to look the same and i have read in a couple of websites that they are the same but I am not sure.

Thanks
    rob

Cumin is a lot stonger taste than caraway. You would need more caraway to get the same strength in taste
    Real Curry Recipes
    The reliable curry site.

I agree with the previous post. At least cumin is nice and consistent with the level of flavour that it delivers. But caraway is harder to predict: sprinkle it on bread before you bake it, and it adds a sweet, nutty flavour that is very pleasant; cook a small amount with boiled cabbage, and it lifts the whole dish; but just a smattering of it can clash horribly with eggs, cream, and a lot else besides. I'm not saying that caraway should be avoided, just that you need to keep it on a tight rein.
    Cheers,
    Ferret
    PS - caraway and cumin are not the same, although as you say they look very similar. You can usually trust your nose in these cases - they should smell very different.
    Last edited by ferret; 27-09-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Channa Doll is offline Senior Member Supreme Curry Master

As Ferret says, they don't taste alike at all! There's much confusion about this on Indian cooking blogs, where black cumin is often mistakenly referred to as caraway. But that's yet another seed, with its own taste. So be sure to use the seed specified in the recipe, whether it's cumin or black cumin.

Channa
    Last edited by Channa Doll; 27-09-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Channa Doll View Post
    As Ferret says, they don't taste alike at all! There's much confusion about this on Indian cooking blogs, where black cumin is often mistakenly referred to as caraway. But that's yet another seed, with its own taste. So be sure to use the seed specified in the recipe, whether it's cumin or black cumin.

Channa
    This comment is very important with some of the Balti recipes .
    cc

naan is offline Junior Member Junior Chef

I don't think caraway is even a spice.
    It goes into "gripe water"
    That's an over the counter medicine for babies and toddlers