Another Melting Base Bhuna
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Melting Base Bhuna

Milesy Guest

Default Another Melting Base Bhuna

Ok. Firsly. The dish definately had some nice taste to it.

Cooking:

The dish cooked fairly well and I kept the spices and stuff moving so they wouldnt stick and I definately had more cooking happening. When I have made a curry before I have cooked up a portion for 3/4 in the one pan, but things tended to boil rather than fry and everything was pasty... if that makes sense? so this cooking one portion per pan is definately good.

Look:

The consistency definately had more of a restaurant look and feel to it.

Smell:

The smell reminded me more of the Baltis served in birmingham. Maybe it was the fenugreek coming out quite strong?

Taste:

I made a major flaw in that I never added any heat to the dish with chile powder - It only clicked after had almost finished it. I had stressed out running about the kitchen.

(Question): Can chile powder be substituted for whole chiles at any point in any the melting base dishes?

The ghee taste was quite stong for me and it made the curry taste too creamy if that is the right word to use. Too buttery. Is the ghee supposed to overpower other tastes. Can we substitute the ghee for something a little lighter in taste and texture (and calories) ?

Was a good effort for my first time I think, and I am raging I never added the heat to it... I mean whats the point without it?? haha.

Suggestions/Feedback welcome
    I posted on Real Curry Recipes so can you!

Gateshead; A road to and from Newcastle and that's it.

Default Re: Another Melting Base Bhuna

Hi Milesy

Firstly, congrats on your Bhuna and the base. I've only cooked one Bhuna with the Melting Base but I use it all the time now with Andys other posted recipes. Having said that I find powder chilli and fresh chillies obviously give heat to a dish but the flavour is different, chilli powder needs to be cooked at the early stages of the dish.
    I always use veg Ghee as the flavour is not as overpowering as the butter Ghee and is less expensive.

I hope this helps and is sound advice.

Graham.

Channa Doll is offline Senior Member Supreme Curry Master

Nice start! I don't understand about the chilli powder -- from what I see, the recipe doesn't call for either fresh green chilli or red chilli powder. Were you planning to add it on your own?

Did you use butter ghee or veg ghee? You can certainly substitute oil for either ghee.

Why were you "running about the kitchen"? I'm thinking you didn't have all your ingredients at the ready, and were finishing your prep whilst the curry was already cooking. Lol, please tell me I'm wrong, Milesy!

Again I'll ask, was the base nice and thin? You can get into trouble if the base is too thick. It throws the timing off, and the whole curry suffers.

You're on your way. A few minor adjustments, mainly for taste, and you'll be a happy cook!

Channa

I quite agree with Graham on the use of vegetable ghee , as it does not have as dominant a flavour ( I find that I am using it more and more ) . As regards the chilli powder , the right combination of both heat and time is key in extracting the desired taste .

CC

Gateshead; A road to and from Newcastle and that's it.

If you feel the need to add chilli to this, try adding 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder mixed with 1 teaspoon of water after the tomato paste is blender in to the Ghee.

Graham.

Milesy Guest

Thanks everyone.

Channa. Butter Ghee I used. I had all the ingredients ready but was running about trying to clean up a little. My Mrs likes curry but not the bombsite that ensured in the kitchen. I was going to add the heat in. I need heat in every curry I make or eat lol! Yep the base was quite thin.

I am going to try the madras tomorrow.

Chris

spicedup is offline Senior Member Supreme Curry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Milesy @ 29 December, 2007, 01:26:02
    Thanks everyone.

I need heat in every curry I make or eat lol!

Chris
    Hi Chris
    I know exactly what you mean, me too.
    Greg

Milesy Guest

Hi folks.

I made the bhuna again tonight, but some slight changes. I never had the chance to remake the spice mix so I used the same spice mix.

I used rice bran oil (my usual oil). It has a very high smoke point, and is a very healthy oil.

I also added a fresh chile, and some hot chile powder just to give it a kick.

The dish had a slightly different taste than last night. Virtually no oil rised to the surface of the curry whatsoever, which I suppose is a good thing health wise, but I think it might have reduced the restaurant "taste" a little ? I can only think that because I used liquid oil, a tablespoon is a lot less than a rounded tablespoon of unmelted ghee? maybe? And the dish did not have the same methi burst from it either... not pressing it into the oil enough maybe?

Chris

Channa Doll is offline Senior Member Supreme Curry Master

Hi, it sounds like you're getting quite comfortable with the recipe. How was the new heat level for you? The chilli will have changed the taste a bit, too, besides the difference from using oil.

Melting Base curries don't call for fusing -- no need to press methi into the oil. It's just a quick shaking and stirring action. That's one reason members like them so much! Have you seen the video of the jalfrezi made with melting base (RCR Videos, blue link, top of page, first video)?

Channa

Milesy Guest

The one thing I do notice though.... My hands, clothes and hair smell really smoky and spicey, and the taste is still lingering quite sharply in my mouth. I dont ever get that with the usual home currys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast